Posts filed under ‘Search Engine Optimization (SEO)’
By Mike Kolbrener
This fall marked the first semester AXIS had an internship in SEO/Interactive Marketing. Tanya Ferrell, our SEO intern, has been spending a lot of time researching social media. After reading her latest article, 4 Types of Social Media Marketers and the 1 You Never Read About , I asked her to write a post for our blog. So without further ado, here is Tanya’s post: A social media marketer has two options in life. They can be a power account or they can pitch to power accounts. The biggest difference between the two is a matter of time. Pitching to power accounts can be fast and easy. Becoming a power account takes time, especially at a large site like Digg. As Tamar Weinberg, an industry blogger, reminds us in a recent post though, not all social news sites are Digg. There are several small niche news sites out there. A smaller site won’t bring you as much site traffic as Digg, but it’s a lot easier to become a power account in a smaller community. So, below is a list of 50 niche social news sites and their power accounts. You could contact a few power accounts the next time you have a piece of news you want to get out. You could join a small community and become a power account yourself. Or you could just check the list out for a few new interesting sites to visit. About the list: Each site on the list has some sort of news feature on it, where users can submit and vote on content. Power accounts for each site were determined by a quick examination of the site – looking at Leaderboards, member activity, etc. It’s safe to say that the top users today won’t be top users months or even weeks from now. I know every niche media site isn’t represented on this list. If you know of one that isn’t on the list, leave a comment. I’m sure we’d all like to see more!
50 Top Niche Social Media Sites and Their Power Accounts
- Pikapet – Pikapet is an online playground for pet owners who want to have fun with their cute pets.
- Dogster – Since launching in January 2004, Dogster.com (and its sister site Catster.com launched in August, 2004) have become the fastest growing pet destination on the Internet and are now a top-five overall pet destination.
- Catster – Dogster for cats.
- Imeem – Imeem is an online community where artists, fans & friends can promote their content, share their tastes, and discover new blogs, photos, music and video.
- Buzznet – Buzznet.com is a vibrant social media destination representing the next evolution of social networking.
- Hip Hop Network – Hip Hop Net’s mission is to build a diverse community of dedicated Hip-hop heads who continually refine their common aesthetic of Hip-hop as art via instant feedback from a userbase of thousands.
- MOG – Your personalized gateway for music discovery.
- Nation of Millions – A place for the Hip-Hop heads to share, rate, and comment on what’s good.
Free Thinkers (AKA Anything Goes)
- Mixx – Mixx is your link to the web content that really matters.
- Linkfilter.net – linkfilter.net is just what the name implies, a link filter.
- Plime – Plime is a pliable tree of interesting links, cultivated and pruned by everyone.
- Shoutwire – Internet news for the masses.
- Stirr’dup – Stirrdup is a social news community built around the idea that controversy is fun, censorship is awful, and the most interesting stories make you want to talk, debate, and even get a little angry.
- Searchles – Searchles is a highly scaleable “social search” platform that showcases expertise, enables collaboration with peers and instantly captures it in searchable knowledge indexes.
- NewsCloud – People sharing stories for change.
- 2CentsNews – 2CentsNews.com is a community based news website where site visitors submit and rate the latest news stories on any topic from virtually any source on the internet.
- Newsvine – Updated continuously by citizens like you, Newsvine is an instant reflection of what the world is talking about at any given moment.
- BuzzFlash – A user driven progressive political news website that allows you to submit a story that may be reviewed by all visitors and may or may not be promoted to the front page.
- AutoSpies – Vote, post articles, write comments, and interact with fellow auto enthusiasts.
- Small Business Brief – Fetching the best small business news.
- Feed the Bull – Financial and stock market news with a voice.
- DailyHub – DailyHub is a social news and content sharing site for business professionals.
- Value Investing News – Value Investing News is a community driven value investing news site.
- Dealigg – Dealigg.com combines the best of user-voted publishing style with the best of online shopping.
Teachers and Students
- Qoolsqool – Qoolsqool is a free and open educational resource for educators, students, and self-learners around the world.
- ShowHype – ShowHype finds the top stories in entertainment for you to vote on and discuss.
- Hugg – Seen some green? Hugg is your source for user-submitted green news.
- Care2 –The premise of Care2 is simple: One person can make a difference.
- TakingItGlobal – TakingItGlobal.org is an online community that connects youth to find inspiration, access information, get involved, and take action in their local and global communities.
The Tech Geeks
- Meme or Lame – Meme or Lame is a citizen media platform targeting gizmophiles that endeavors to bring editors and readers closer.
- DZone – Fresh links for developers.
- DNHour – DNHour.com is a user-powered news portal built specially for the domain name industry.
- GuildCafe – GuildCafe is free service where you can form guilds and clans, publish your gaming accomplishments and connect with other players who like the things you do.
- Quick Jump Network – User submitted gaming news.
- TribalWar – Gaming news.
- Wordsy – Just some people who really like to read.
- marktd – Marketing news for marketers by marketers.
- Gooruze – Gooruze offers the online marketing community a new easy to drive, high performance platform where all members can share, educate, advise and learn – shaping the future of the industry.
- PlugIM – PlugIM is a user driven internet marketing community.
- Sphinn – Sphinn is a social site for search and interactive marketers.
- Live Video – The world is watching.
- VideoSift – VideoSift is an online community and passionate about Web video.
Real Estate Agents
- Real Estate Voices – A real estate social news site designed to help you discover the most interesting articles of the day, as voted and suggested by your fellow users.
- BallHype – BallHype makes it easy for all of the sports fans out there who want to keep up but don’t have all day to goof off online.
- Wine Life Today – Wine Life Today provides wine news based on what you, the reader, find interesting.
Birds of a Feather
- Black Planet – BlackPlanet.com is your place to meet and connect with African Americans around the country.
- Blogs4God – Blogs4God is a semi-definitive aggregation of Christians who blog.
- Sk*rt – Sk*rt is a portal to find cool things, smart scoop, clever ideas, excellent products, exceptional information. All of it. And more.
- Saty – Women’s lifestyle portal.
- Style Hive – Stylehive is a global social shopping community, dedicated to discovering and sharing the most exciting products, the stores that sell them, and the people that find them.